Plaats reactie
Pieter
Beheerder
Contacteer:

The outward journey

Bericht door Pieter »

Queen of Scandinavia, North Sea.

26 May 2005

A hot summers day, plenty of sunshine, 174 km whithout the rowing miles.

After loading the car to the limit we went on our way to the docks. First things first, a short stop at the dry cleaners, the bedding could do with some cleaning after all the warm nights.
We took a shortcut to avoid Eindhoven, because half the German population were stuck on the roads there. But being a busy day we hit the first traffic jam near Den Bosch. Luckily this didn't take long, because the temperature was already reaching 26 degrees and it was only just 10 o'clock. Airco wasn't invented for our car, so driving was the best way to keep cool.
Just past Utrecht things got bad, a big traffic jam ahead, so the decision was made to leave the motorway and at Vinkeveen we took a left turn.
We knew about a place in Vinkeveen where we've been before for some lunch, but unfortunately it was closed. Luckily we also knew of a place near Aalsmeer (that's what you get when you've done stuff for Endemol), and so we arrived a quarter to 12 at 't Bonte Schort, that's the name of the restaurant. It has a beautiful view on the Westeinderplassen and delicious food.
After a benificent lunch back in to the heat of the day, 28 degrees showed on the thermometer. Slowly but surely we got closer to IJmuiden, all in all almost one our sooner than needed, but hey, we are on holiday and it was by choice to be early, hoping it wouldn't be so warm at the sea.
Idle hopes, also IJmuiden was warm, but after we took some pictures of the ship we could check-in and got access to the terminal. Here we enjoyed some cold beer and an icy vodka/orange.
We had a table in the corner, an ideal spot to look at all the other people.
At 5 o'clock we were allowed on board and after parking the car on one of the decks plus the inspection of our cabine we went straight to the Admiral's Pub on board the Queen of Scandinavia for another cool drink, after first making reservations for diner.
The cool beer went down a treat, but the wine could have been liquid gold after checking the bill.
Diner was a "trip around the World" buffet. We got a beautiful seat at a window, looking over the bow of the ship. Diner was delicious while looking out and seeing the ship taking to the sea.
After a lovely cappuccino in the pub we were back in our cabin at a quarter past 9, complaining about the smooth sailing. We've thought about paying the captain a visit, asking him to retract the stabilizers and rock the ship a bit, me (P) willing to take the wheel.
But none of that happened, instead I wrote this journal (by hand in those days) (him writing, me straitening things and adding my personal thoughts).
Afterwards I've been back to the pub, had some beers and enjoyed watching people, some drunk as a doorknob. Time to hit the sack for some serious snoring. (P)
Don't put your mouth into motion, before your brain is in gear.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Scotland 2005”