Travel blog about our trip to New Zealand in October/November 2008
Plaats reactie
Pieter
Beheerder
Contacteer:

05-11-2008 From Greymouth to Franz Josef

Bericht door Pieter »

5 November 2008 - Franz Josef, New-Zealand

This morning we woke up early because of the fierce wind shaking the campervan, but it had stopped raining and that’s nice. After clearing our king size bed we had to dig up the kettle and toaster (again forgotten while making the bed) for our breakfast. Toast with lots of salted butter and a strong black coffee to open up our eyes.
Next thing is polishing up, we do have to look sharp, otherwise we don’t look like terrorists (tourists) :lach2: . The carpet still wasn’t dry, so we packed it up in a large plastic bag, kindly donated by the lady from the campsite and chucked it in the back of the campervan. It won’t be seeing daylight again until we hand the campervan back to United.
What they want to do with it in Christchurch isn’t our concern, as long as we are driving this thing it won’t be on the floor no more.
Meanwhile we have had a substantial rain shower and after stowing all the bits and pieces we went on the road again. Shantytown is on our route so we took a look in this museum town. Walking through the village feels like walking through a small western town, it could have been imported from the US of f***ing A, there is even a Chinatown :lach2: .
Quite poorly was the living standard here, four beam and some jute was what they called a bed. But they did have a fireplace, without it there wouldn’t be a hot meal. All of this was set up during the goldrush and if you’re lucky you still might be able to find some in the streams. https://shantytown.co.nz if you want to take a look for yourself.

Because we still have some heavy shopping to do we made a stop in the town of Hokitika, best know for the jade industry. Here we gaze at the most beautiful objects in different sorts of jade, like the flower jade which has colours ranging from deep green to yellow. It is a true art to carve and polish the stone to get the best out of them and they know their craft here in Hokitika.
If shopping here for jade, make sure you get the real deal, because there is also a lot of imported Chinese jade for sale. We’re not giving anything away just yet, you’ll see in due time if we brought some of it back with us.
During our shopping it started pouring again and because we had to fill our bellies anyway, we took refuge in a café and enjoyed our lunch, you’ve guest it, a cheese toastie and for me a minced meat pie, both delicious. When the weather cleared we went for another couple of shops and got on our way again, destination Franz Josef. Just before arrival it started snowing, we’ve seen earlier on the day that the trees higher up the mountains were dusted as by a sugar shaker, but now also we were dusted. A combination of snow, hail and rain coloured the landscape white. There is even a weather warning for heavy snow, but that’s a 450m altitude, we’ll see.
I’ve tried the heater again, it seems it has dried enough, so we’ve got it warm and cosy in our campervan. If all goes well we’ll get a new one tomorrow with the added bonus of hot water again.
We also stocked up the kitchen cabinet, you never know, we might get stuck in the snow :knip2: .
We’re going out for diner, hopefully that works better than the internet :lach2: . Everybody advertises, yis, whi hive internit, but just a few places deliver. Enough said, time to stop, maybe my other half has somethings to add :knip2: (P)

The better half certainly has somethings to tell. I’ve just been outside for a smoke and the sounds are unbelievable. Where we’re at right now is situated in an ancient rain forest, let me translate the birdsongs for you: poe-PIEP-poepoe…pieiep…poepoePIEP! :lach1: . A rain forest (this explains a lot :lach1: ) with the weirdest noises. No black birds or sparrows, but very strange birds, not to mention all the youngsters :knip1: . The facilities (except the intirnit) are very good, but I wonder what they will look like in the early morning when looking at the visitors here!
Oh well, we’ve arrived early and our cimpervin :lach1: gets lots of sun, which saves on gas. As said, Pieter tried the heater despite the advice not to use it, but the circuit breakers didn’t pop and now it’s warm and cosy in the cimpervin, even without the carpet.
We’ve found some woollen slippers for Pieter to wear and they now bleat together on the couch! In turn the left and right foot are calling “Mèèm”! :lach1: :lach1: .
In about an hours’ time we’re going to upload this story at the intirnit-kiosk (wireless only works for the motel guests next door) and then we are going to the Monsoon (!!!) Bar and Restaurant, situated on the campsite. Time for a big chunk of local meat, be it lamb, pork, beef or deer. I’m sure they’ve got fish too. Oh, almost forgot, this is the campsite www.rainforestretreat.co.nz just take a look.
This afternoon we went shopping in the local supermarket and low and behold, we’ve found a package of Maggi (really) oxtail soup, to warm up the driver on the inside.
He enjoyed it and I think that’s why he’s snoring on the couch. Maybe also because of the trip from today, not that it was a long trip, but with the blustery winds, the rain and snow it’s hard work keeping this house on wheels on the road.
We’ve got a photo to proof it, but I don’t know yet if it is any good. We didn’t take much photos today because of the weather being bad. But don’t worry, the spirits are still high and we’re just past half way on our route with we hope lots more beautiful spots and nice weather.
Tomorrow we will reach Haast, even further in neverneverland and hopefully let you know how things has been during the trip. By the way, Manon, if you read this, the mail to United came back as undeliverable, but we’re happy you’re still with it.
Good to hear that back home all is well, despite the misuse of the blog by the cousins battle :sad1: :lach1: and hope to tell a much dryer story. We can’t wait to see more of this magnificent country.

Greetz y’all!!! XXX (M)

PS: some good news to share (knock on wood) after the 4 cluster headaches in the beginning of this holiday I’ve had none!! If it keeps up like this, the whole pharmacy gets to go home again :knip1:
Don't put your mouth into motion, before your brain is in gear.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “New Zealand 2008”