Plaats reactie
Pieter
Beheerder
Contacteer:

Singapore, Part Deux. 16:00 local time.

Bericht door Pieter »

19 October 2008.

Singapore (hotel), Singapore.

Still Sunday, but the last story was a bit weird, so I’m taking my time on this one. Our internet connection just expired (the hour was up), but I can write the story in advance and fill in the gaps on the previous story. A trip like this one sure does something with your brain.
All went reasonably well during the flight, with some short naps on board the plane, but suddenly all energy was spent and we had to lie down and get some sleep. After a 2 hour nap we’re fine again, although it took a while to wake up :knip2:.
Pieter is going to check out the nearby surroundings of the hotel and I stay here, writing this story. If you think the stories are too long, than don’t read them :-) . I know of a few people that don’t mind the stories, hihihi! For now I’m happy to being able to get up when I want and sit down when I feel like it. It’s the biggest disadvantage of flying in a tin can half way around the world, the long sitting in your seat and having to ask someone when you want to get up.
Never mind, we are still having fun and don’t mind the next flight coming up, because it will bring us to where we want to go for our holiday.

Wow, a big lightning bolt, including a rolling thunder passes by our window. Awesome!!!
A tropical thunderstorm, beautiful! We’re watching it all from behind the window, high and dry, which is a good thing, because the rain is pouring down right now. This morning we had beautiful weather with a light rain at 11 o’clock. Our drinks before our nap were brought to us by the young lady at the pool bar under an umbrella, at which we had to laugh.

Anyway, the check-in and the flight went according our plan. Yes, it is tight, but we knew beforehand. We had an excellent flight but were happy to get out. At Changi the moist heat slapped us in the face like a wet towel and here we went, with our board case, a large photo case, our suitcases plus some other stuff and our winter coats, wind tight, water proof and warm enough for a trip to the Pole.
The coats were too big to for out suitcases, but we might need them in New Zealand as it’s early spring there. (they came in handy at Schiphol as well). All in all we had our hands full with all our stuff, but luckily it was quiet at the airport. Immigration took a little while, they check everything carefully.
At customs everything went smooth, a friendly guy checked a suitcase and two bags trough the scan and that was it. No problems whatsoever, not even with all the medication. A whistle of a penny.

A nice young man without his front teeth was waiting for us, with a card with our names on it. He came on behalf of the agent for Kuoni in Singapore for our transfer from the airport to the hotel. After changing some Euro’s for Singapore dollars at AmEx we followed the young man to his taxi. He kindly took our trolley and walked in a hurry to his van. Inside the terminal the heat wasn’t too bad, but once outside Margreetje was soaked in an instance. The sweat was pouring from under my hair while the sun wasn’t even up already.
Also there was a guy smoking just outside the door and after 12 hours without a smoke, his smoking hit us in the face :lach1: . here I was, running after our hero and Pieter, who found things wonderful, while my ankles were hanging over my shoes.

Before we got in the van, the driver let us light up a smoke and joined us with a cigarette from a package of 10 (smoking is very expensive here). He sucked his cigarette in ashes front to end in one! Next we stepped in the van, which was old, but clean, as everything here, I like that.
The trip to our hotel went smooth and calm on this early Sunday morning, everything is neatly arranged with lots of flowers and palm trees along the road, very nice to look at. We reached our hotel in no time and the friendly driver told us to be ready on time tomorrow for our trip through the city, after which he left.
Here we went up to the 3th floor with all our stuff, to where the reception is at. The nice receptionist was very helpful, but there wasn’t a room available this early. We weren’t surprised, because we were very early at the hotel, but if we got back at the desk by 10 or 11 o’clock they would try to get us a room. No complaints there.
We could leave our luggage downstairs in a safe and were invited to take a seat in the lobby, or at the pool, where we could get something to drink. Down we went and after a smoke, the concierge had left his desk for a short while, we left our suitcases and coats and went up to the 5th floor where we could find the pool. As you can see on the pictures it was a nice spot to soak it all up. It was warm, but if you don’t move a lot it’s doable.

We were dehydrated, but it took a while before someone came. After half an hour the nice young lady appeared and brought us 2 glasses with ice water, delicious. She came by for a refill, all at no cost. We’ve spent 2 hours at the pool and watched a few early swimmers and some doves, which were bathing at the edge of the pool.
Later we ordered the wonderful breakfast in order to get into the rhythm of the day ahead. I think we did alright despite our nap, because this is what we do at home as well on a Sunday (and on all other days given a chance!!).

In short, all went well for us, we are enjoying ourselves, laugh a lot, Pieter even watches the Chinese Grand Prix on TV and the “Eindhovens Dagblad” went straight from the bag in to the bin here. Men adapts to the surroundings and for now I’m done writing. After our city tour we’ve got more to tell, including some pictures and if needed we’re posting two stories!! (M)

Because of the rain, which is pouring down right now, I went exploring the hotel and the adjacent shopping center. Here you’ll find all kind of little shops and health centers, but a ATM machine can’t be found here. A little shop were they sell our weakness can be found here and it sure is expensive. On the packages they’ve printed all kind of scary diseases of which you can get from smoking. (Marijke, we’ll save you one, empty of course!!)

The rain brings a nice cool breeze over the city and underneath the glass canopy we enjoy the afternoon. In a short while we are going to get something to eat, for me this will be some local specialty, if you could smell the air here, mouthwatering. (P)

20:00 local time: We went for an early dinner in order to get to bed early, we have to get up early for our city tour. After a few drinks at the pool we went to the restaurant at the hotel, Mooi Chin Place. It’s a mix of east meets west where Pieter had stir-fried beef with ginger and spring onions, served with rice and Margreet had a highly priced sirloin steak. Well, that wasn’t called for, the steak wouldn’t get tender even when you drove a tank over it!
Oh well, when in Rome, you know, so I finished the rest of the plate and pinched some of the beef from Pieter’s plate. We didn’t complain, but told the waiter in a friendly way the steak was very chewy, after which he apologized politely and removed the steak from our bill. Very nice of them, isn’t it?
After dinner we went outside the hotel for a walk and gazed at the wonderful Art Deco building across the street, all this in the steaming heat. It was beautiful lit and Pieter decided he wanted to take pictures of it, so he went up to our room for the camera. Once outside the lens fogged up completely and he’s still waiting for it to clear up. I was too tired and went up to the room after giving Pieter the little ashtray from Austria ( do NOT litter in Singapore .. or anywhere else for that matter).

I’m writing this and waiting to see if Mr. Huf has been productive so we can add it to this story. We’ve invested in another hour of internet for you guys. This story is going up this evening, giving us the opportunity to read up on your comments, which we enjoy!!
Tomorrow afternoon you’ll be hearing from us again, with new adventures and impressions. And now the air conditioner is off, it’s barely 16 degrees inside! (M)
Don't put your mouth into motion, before your brain is in gear.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “New Zealand 2008”