Plaats reactie
Pieter
Beheerder
Contacteer:

03-11-2008 From Sun-up to Sunset

Bericht door Pieter »

3 November 2008 - Westport, New-Zealand

Kaikoura to Westport

Oké, when talking about random thoughts, I’ve just been outside for a smoke and the night sky is incredible here, really clear and lots of stars to be seen! Our neighbour is also Dutch and traveling on his own in a small campervan (he’s a bit weird) and he thinks we’re short on time on the southern isle. We know, our time here is way to short to see it all! But we have to make do with the time we do have.
For BertG at Holst: take your bicycle over here for some trip, quite a challenge! You can have our roadmap and we have some tips for you too :knip1: :lach1:. (M)

Today we left the Pacific Coast and arrived at the Tasman Sea. It’s been quite a trip, 350 km plus, but more than worthwhile. We’ve seen the most beautiful landscapes and followed or crossed an array of rivers and streams. The sun was glistening in the water and painted stunning views against the snow topped mountains. Maybe the idea of staying her isn’t so bad after all, only if just for the landscape. It’s magical.
I’m a bit lazy today, so no long stories from me, I’ll leave it for Margreet to tell. I will be doing the photos, making a selection and reduce the size 8 times, because they are way to big for the blog :lach2:. Also the internet speed doesn’t allow for large files. Tomorrow I’ll be looking for a HDD, the shop in Kaikoura was closed due to an National holiday :sad2:. See you later (P)

Oké, my turn to write a story. P is going to fry some bacon, onions and eggs on the hot plate on the campsite. As said, the trip today was awesome. We started a bit late because of the computer shop which was closed due to a local National holiday, racing day ……. Of all things :lach1:.
They expected lots of visitors in Kaikoura, so we were more than happy to leave. By the time we left the clock showed 9:30, a bit late if you’ve got a trip of 350+ km ahead of you.
The first part was on road 70 to Hanmer Springs took awhile and in the village itself it was very crowded. There are hot springs and my thoughts were the maybe, if it’s quit, but, holiday, so everyone was about.
So back on the road again, but for me it was a bit much and was glad we’ve found a café/hotel/pub in Rotherham. Here we enjoyed a lunch, P had a steak and mushroom pie and I had a cheese toastie, both were delicious! We met a older couple from the UK, they had visited family in Auzie land and wanted to see N-Z in 2 weeks :knip1: but had decided they’d had to come back for a longer period and rightfully so!
At 12:00 we were back on the road again (we have breakfast very early, so have lunch very early too) and after lots of short stops for photos and a smoke we reached Springs Junction at 15:00. Springs Junction exists in 3 or 4 houses, a gas station and a motel/café (!). After a stock up for the fridge we went on. We had decided to go for Westport (despite my many propositions). But, due to the better roads in the south and Pieters right foot (which is very steady) we reached Westport at 17:00, but didn’t enter the town. We went left for about 2 km to Carter’s Beach, with views of the Tasman Sea (far away) for our stay at www.top10westport.co.nz .

Anyway, we’re on schedule today, tomorrow will be a lazy day. Just 56 km, so nice and easy. Tomorrow morning we don’t have to hurry and are planning for some shopping in town. Next we’re heading for Cape Foul Wind (that’s the real name and Pieter daren’t say anything about it :sad1: ).
It’s named like that because of the seal colony over there and they seem to smell :lach1: . Next stop will be Punakaiki to take pictures from the pancake rocks at high tide.
That’s why we bought 2 time tables on the tides around the South Island. Something every traveller should do if you’re wanting to see things at the coast.
Oh mi, I could keep on going with this story, it’s been so beautiful today, but no words can describe this trip. Take it from me, saving up for a couple of years (time and money) are more than worth it in order to take a trip to N-Z. At the end of the day we’re worn by all the impressions (bed time is mostly around 21:30) also because we want an early day to even more of this magnificent country.
Dyan: I understand now what you said about Indonesia, at some point you’ve seen enough temples :knip1: :lach1: . But it’s different here … . I’ll stop for now, maybe P has something to share. By the way, internet works like a treat on this campsite. Yesterday’s connection brought tears to our eyes.
We’ll see what’s coming on the rest of our trip, but you all know the rule! XXX (M)
Don't put your mouth into motion, before your brain is in gear.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “New Zealand 2008”